CHICKEN RICE PIE
1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (golden)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow, orange, red peppers
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning ( optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese for topping, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium size pot, bring chicken broth and water to a boil, add rice and simmer for about 20 minutes, until sticky, stirring occasionally.
Put into a large bowl to cool.
- Heat a large skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion, garlic, celery, and peppers to the skillet, saute for about 2 minutes,
divide it in half.
- Move half of the vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Add ground chicken, 1 beaten egg, flaxseed, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Move the meat mixture to a lightly oiled, 8 inch , square or round, glass baking pan, press lightly to fit the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. While chicken is baking, prepare rice topping.
- Mix cooked rice with remaining half of sauteed vegetables, add salt, if necessary.
- Take chicken out of the oven, sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over chicken; spread rice mixture evenly over the top.
- Return pie to the oven and bake for 30 minutes longer. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil for 2 minutes to let the cheese melt.
Recipe posted 9.16.2014 HomeCookNaturally.com
Beef Pork Recipes